Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ramblings and such

Well, my grandmother passed away after a painful battle with cancer. It started a couple years ago. They discovered she has uterine, ovarian, cervical, and vulva cancer. All you women out there, or those of you who know women if your men--Get a fucking papsmere. Don't have insurance? Go to the health department and they will put you on a sliding scale. It's not that hard and should be a priority. Sorry about that, need to be said though. Back to my ramblings... She had to have everything taken out and reconstructed so she could pee again. A very painful recovery, but she got through it. My mom went up to Tennessee and cared for her surgical sights (she has been an RN for over 25 years) and when all was well, came back home. Well the cancer came back, in her lymph nodes, and lungs, and everywhere, and she got a blood clot. It was inoperable and chemo may have helped drain her lymph nodes to bring down her leg so the clot could dissolve. She said no, and laid in her bed awaiting death. It did not come right away, she held on for most of this year, slowly getting worse. Then my aunt Jenny called and said she was getting close and my mom flew to Tennessee. She got to care for her in her final days, and give Aunt Jenny some much needed respite. She was there when she passed. Grandma was cremated and returned to my mom and Aunt Jenny today. They are all going to drive down here and have a memorial service with a reception following the church memorial at my moms. I am taking 3 days bereavement from my job. I'll take Wednesday the 15th, Friday the 17th (also baby squirrel's birthday) and Monday the 20th. My team leader was not so nice about it, but I am entitled and have the right to be with my family during this trying time.

Yesterday I took Brandon to his monthly doctor Hubbard appointment. She is so proud of his progress and now that he has straight medicaid she thinks they will cover the Invega so we are going to take him of the Risperdal. He gained 13 pounds in a little more than 3 months. We all agreed that the benefits of the Risperdal were to great to take him off of, since Staywell wouldn't cover the Invega. Invega is in the same family, but without the side effect of weight gain. He also won't have to take it several times a day, only once since it is long lasting.

I will end with this...

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
Henry David Thoureau
1817-1862

I would like to ask if anyone is reading this, if they could please leave a comment or suggestion so I know that I am not as alone as I feel.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

julie i am sorry to hear about your gramma. i do read your blogs see. it is the only way to keep up with ya

Amber DBTD said...

You're never alone... But you knew that.

Lea said...

Sending you comfort on a chilly November Election Night eve.

Your grandma would be proud of you... she'd want you to celebrate!