Tuesday, July 29, 2008

an update on the crisis

Well I left off with Donna on life support. They took her off life support Monday morning. She was up and talking, in total disbelief about what happened, and no memory of the event. When I was visiting with her I told her that I loved her. The doctor came in while I was there. She just got over the shock of what happened and then he tells her that she had a massive heart attack. Not on Sunday, but some other time. He tells her that the muscles in her heart are severely damaged, only 20% effective. That she is at great risk for another one, but the real bad kind, the one that kills you. He goes on to tell her that she needs to be transferred to another hospital to run electrical tests and possibly implant and internal defibrillator. I am holding her hand, she doesn't hold it back, doesn't squeeze it, doesn't even acknowledge my touch. She had to be numb and in shock. Rich, Tori, Rick and I were there with her. I felt privileged to be part of this. Blessed to be a part of this family. At first I was apprehensive about what my place was, I still am. But I knew, I know that my place was with the family during this tragedy. They transferred her today, up to Sarasota. They will run tests tomorrow and we will go from there. There is uncertainty for the future, but definite hope for the best.

No comments: