Saturday, March 21, 2009

The good ole days visited us yesterday :0(

Yesterday...where do I start. I guess I will recap the entire day starting with a little background. The new babysitter expressed her desire to have 5 hours a week. I told her that this was not going to always be the case. Monday I took a day off for some appointments, Rick had off Tuesday and Wednesday, Rick got out of work on Thursday around 2pm. I told Rick to go fishing after work on Thursday so she could get a few hours there. My mom was watching them all day Friday, but to keep a potentially good babysitter, I had her drop him off at the house with the sitter at 2pm. Now I'll recap Friday for ya.. Dropped Brandon off at my moms at 7:15 in the morning. Kaylin ended up staying home because she wanted to sleep in. I called my mom around 9 to check in and all was well. Talked to the babysitter at 3-ish and she wanted to "talk". She realized how much she was letting Brandon get away with things after seeing how my mom dealt with him. She said we all need to get on the same page about what he is allowed to eat and do. Although I had went over all this with her on her two interviews, I guess she needed to hear it again. I obliged, and that was that. I little later she calls and tells me that there is a situation she needs my help with. Apparently Brandon wanted to eat more, the sitter said no, and he blew up. He picked up the stool to throw at her, and she quickly diffused that situation, then told him he was on time out. He ran in my room in a tornado of swear words and objects being thrown and locked the door. On the other side of the door he was screaming and throwing things at the door. She was of course concerned for his safety and probably asking her self what the hell she got into-so she called. I told her to give the phone to Kaylin and I had her put the phone on speaker. I talked him out of the bedroom and tried to talk him into going on time out. It was too late for talking to him at that point. He was too far gone. He had shut down and was beyond thinking, reasoning and making choices. He was just screaming (really screaming), crying, whining, and repeating a non sense phrase. He hung up the phone on me after me trying to reground him over the phone for half an hour. I went to my boss and told her I had to leave and why. Raced home and he was still very agitated, but not "stuck" with the screaming and repetition. I talked briefly with the babysitter and asked her if she was going to quit, and she said no, but she wasn't going to be able to watch him during spring break or for any full days. Afterwards he was still very agitated and kept getting wound back up. I took him to his room and hit his "reset" button. He was an angel after that. I was then able to talk to him about what had happened. I started with asking him what he ate that day. 2 smores pop tarts, macaroni and cheese, strawberries, ice pop at Grandmas, carrot cake, and cheese. Going through my mental list of food with red 40, yellow 5 and MSG (Brandon is not allowed these things, they are known triggers) , I went ***DINGDINGDING*** when he got to ice pop. I asked him if it was red, and he said "yes". I refuse to blame the entire episode on a frickin ice pop, I do, however, blame the ice pop for being the "trigger", the rest was up to Brandon to make correct choices which he did not make. We have not had a meltdown like that in probably close to a year, that made it so much harder to deal with. Plus it scared the shit out of me. He needed to be put in a basket hold to be held safe, but how do you do that when you are 6 months pregnant? I was scared he would kick me or head butt me in the stomach. He used to get very violent back in the day when he would have a meltdown and holding him safe was one of the only tools we had that worked. Now for those of you who don't understand or know Brandon, the mentioned above is his disability, not him being a snot nosed little punk. He is not neurotypical (google it) like you or me, he cannot make the proper connections in his brain to filter out certain things and then it shuts down. You can see him getting agitated, and that is your window to calm him down. Having a new baby sitter, she did not recognize this and he went into full blown meltdown, and at that point Brandon left the building. This morning, so far so good. I'm dreading a repeat performance.

No comments: