Monday, December 29, 2008

Holy Crap, I survived

I survived the most awkward weekend of my life. My ex husband (the one in prison), his father and wife came to spend the weekend with us with their dogs. Before he came I explained Brandon to him. He has not seen his grandson in over 4 years, which means Brandon was about 3 years old. I explained how we deal with him, and how he cannot interfere with how we handle him, even if it pisses him off. I also tried to explain Brandon's aspergers as best as I could to an ignorant person. I do have to say that Brandon was awesome. He had major changes to his schedule and people in his area, and for the most part did pretty darn good. I could tell the difference, we had a few minor melt downs, and alot of whining, alot of hiding and covering with blankets, a few time outs, some brushing, and snuggling. No violent outbursts, no throwing things, no 3 hours complete meltdowns while repeating "I wanna get out" for 2 hours. To others he would have been a whiny little brat and to me it was a moment of extreme proudness to all the progress he has made. Last year, it would have been unbearable, this year, it was mostly pleasant.

2 comments:

Amber DBTD said...

Aww, good for Brandon! Must have been SO hard for him.

luvmycrazyboy said...

Yeah, and he was totally creepy around squirrel.